- California State Courts
- US Courts of Appeals for the Second and Ninth Circuits
- US District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of California
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 1999
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, high honors, 1996
Jonathan Gaskin's practice focuses on solving complex business situations, and ranges from providing pre-litigation advice through handling trials and appeals. Mr. Gaskin has represented numerous individuals, business entities, and officers and directors in contractual matters, securities class actions, derivative actions, regulatory actions, internal investigations, employment disputes, real estate disputes, and criminal actions. He also has extensive experience advising companies regarding issues ranging from entity formation and corporate governance to disclosures, public filings, and D&O insurance. Mr. Gaskin's practice also includes advising start-up and next-stage companies and founders regarding leadership transitions, and serving as outside general counsel for one of his clients. Mr. Gaskin serves as a Director of Powergetics, Inc.
Mr. Gaskin has handled numerous arbitrations and mediations and tried half a dozen cases to successful jury verdicts. He also has extensive experience guiding clients through both government and internal investigations covering issues ranging from whistleblowers to options backdating to FCPA violations.
Over the past twelve years, Mr. Gaskin's public representations have included Sina.com, Nike, nVidia, Lichtciao Restaurant Holdings, Silicon Storage Technology, Agile, Sunglass Hut, and Morgan Stanley.
Prior to founding Kaufhold Gaskin LLP, Jonathan Gaskin co-founded and served as President of Promethean Discovery, a cutting-edge provider of on-demand document review and analysis. Mr. Gaskin also continued to practice law as trial counsel and outside general counsel for select clients. Prior to founding Promethean Discovery, Mr. Gaskin worked with the same team of securities litigators as they practiced at Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison LLP, opened the San Francisco office of Clifford Chance US, and moved to Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. He served on the Hiring Committee and as the head of the Summer Associate Program at each of these firms.
Mr. Gaskin received his dual B.A.s in 1996 from the University of California at Berkeley, with high honors. He received his J.D. in 1999 from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and won the Charles Bathgate Beck Prize. Mr. Gaskin also served as an editor for the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law.
Mr. Gaskin is admitted to practice in the state of California, in the Northern and Southern Districts of California, and in the Ninth Circuit and the Second Circuit.
- 2005 ALI-ABA Securities Litigation Program: Defending Securities Claims, (Coauthor and Editor)
- Securities Reform Act Litigation Reporter 2004-2008, (Contributing Author and Editor)
- Section 220 Inspections, I, National Law Journal, November 24, 2003 (with Sara Brody)
- Policing the Global Marketplace: Wielding a Knife in a Gunfight, 38 Colum. J. Transnat'lL., pgs. 191-210 (1999)